Sunday, August 25, 2013

Week 1

The pain from the surgery really didn't start until Tuesday afternoon.  Up to that point I had been laying on the couch with my foot iced and elevated.  I felt like I needed to get up and move around some and felt well enough to try.  I spent some time standing, changing clothes, brushing my teeth and taking a shower.  By the time I was done I could feel my leg swell up and the pressure increasing around the incision area and underneath the splint.  I took a few pain killers and laid back down with my foot elevated and iced. 

The only other times I got up the first few days was to go to the bathroom and back.  Being up any longer created too much pain.  Since then, I've been able to manage the pain through ice and elevating my foot that I stopped taking the Oxycontin Tuesday night.  I am still taking the Ibuprofen as needed, and the baby aspirin until I see the doctor again, which is two weeks after the surgery.  As long as my foot is elevated and it doesn't bump anything, it feels fine.   The rest of the week has been spent sleeping, catching up on movies, and reading some books.  Netflix through the Roku have been great.  I don't have to get up or have some one change the DVD if I want to watch something else.  I can only watch TV/movies for so long.  I am ready to go back to work and do something productive for the day. 

Other discomfort I have is not being able to scratch inside of the splint.  There are some spots I can't get too.  Some time the stitches poke or tickle around my foot and I can't do anything about it.  The muscles on my lower leg will cramp up and ache.  If I could only take the splint off and stretch them some.  I think I can make it one more week.  I feel like I can't do much for myself yet.  I can get up and down the stairs, but I can't carry a glass of water with me.  I can't even stand long enough to microwave food.  If you decide to go through this surgery I would recommend having someone stay with you for the first few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment